Our Five Easy Steps For Replacing Your Windows Doors
Click on a button to learn more about each step.
Replacement Windows & Doors
Homeowner Installation Service Since 1969
You’ll know when it’s time to replace your old windows and doors when your home’s interior can’t maintain a comfortable temperature or you see signs of a water problem resulting in mold or mildew. Begin the replacement process by educating yourself about all your options. Woodland can help by simplifying the process into five easy steps.
Woodland's Five Easy Steps For Replacing Your Windows & Doors
With years of experience replacing windows and doors for thousands of homeowners, we’ve simplified the remodeling process for our customers. Here’s what you can expect.
Step 1: Education
Start by educating yourself about replacement window types that fit with your unique home and budget. Check our website for information, including catalogs and ideas. Visit our showroom to see the products and speak to a specialist. You can choose from Wood Clad, Fiberglass, Vinyl or Aluminum. You can change your interior or exterior trim. Select from near unlimited finish options. You can even change the size of a window opening to suit a different window style. Check out our window guides, blogs and FAQs. When you’re ready to narrow your options schedule an inhome consultation with an expert window representative.
Where to Begin?
To plan your budget for replacement windows and doors you need to know the cost of the ‘installed window or door’. To understand this you need to understand the key factors.
These include: window material (wood, fiberglass, vinyl or aluminum) full or partial replacement, new or reused trim, condition of the opening, access to your windows and your home (for loading & unloading).
Each factor contributes to the cost of your replacement, which is why it’s key to get a quote from a reputable replacement dealer, otherwise you risk getting an inferior installed product or hidden charges.
What Does it Cost
to Replace Windows & Doors?
- Who needs to be present the day of my in-home consultation? The day of your in-home consultation, we ask that one of the homeowner’s or decision makers is present to meet with our sales representative. Many times our sales representatives will have questions that will need to be answered to assure the proper products are quoted.
- If I bring my measurements in to your showroom, will someone be able to give me a price? Technically yes, however we generally refrain from doing so because the way you measure may or may not be the way Woodland would measure therefore it can cause confusion and ultimately errors in what is quoted. We will help you estimate the cost, so you can plan your budget. We’ll do our best to give you a price range to work with.
- Can I expect a proposal at the end of my sales appointment? Generally, your sales rep is able to provide a written proposal before leaving your home. There are some instances however where product has to be quoted from our vendors. In that case, we will have to get back to you with a quote, generally within 24-48 hours depending on the manufacturer.
- Can I get an estimate for the cost of the windows and a separate estimate for the installation of the windows? The estimate you need to create a budget should include the cost of the ‘installed window or door’. This is essential because the window choice, your home and the installation requirements are inextricably linked. Estimates can be created for contractors and DYI homeowners who wish to purchase the replacement windows or doors to install themselves.
- We’re DIY people, can I install replacement windows myself? Some homeowners do install their windows if an insert window is an option for their project. Insert windows install directly into an existing frame of the window being replaced. The frame needs to be square, in good condition and of the same size as the new window. Other types of replacements can be difficult unless you have previous experience replacing windows. Manufacturers supply installation instructions.
- What does a vinyl replacement window cost compared to a composite or wood/clad? Vinyl-frame windows are the most affordable of the three – as little as half the price of comparable wood-frame versions. For the right application, vinyl is a good buy.
- Can you offer us additional savings if we replace all the windows at one time? We call that the ‘time management discount’ sales pitch. It’s a tactic to get homeowners to spend more than they might otherwise be ready to spend. Woodland uses a precise job costing system that allows us to price our installations by window openings, not the number of windows you buy, like most of our competitors. Our customer’s receive great pricing and consistent installation quality.
- Do you offer specials like buy 4 and get 1 free, like your competitors? Woodland does offer specials throughout the year and those translate into real savings to the current price. We don’t use sales tactics to keep you from comparison shopping. We know we offer brand name products and services for fair and competitive prices.
- Do you have financing options like 12 months without interest? Yes, financing is available on install jobs only for qualified customers. It is a 12-month same as cash (with monthly payments). Please contact your sales representative or our accounting department at 630-529-DOOR (3667). The finance amount is after a 40% deposit is made.
- Do we have to replace our windows with the same style we have now, such as double hung, picture or casements? Changing a window style to better suit your lifestyle, such as replacing a picture window with casements to allow for ventilation can usually be done.
- Will the replacement windows match my house style and color? Today’s options for replacement windows are plentiful. Woodland offers styles for virtually any home and custom colors to match an existing color palette when desired.
- Do I have to replace all the home’s windows in order to match or just the ones that have failed? Woodland can help you find a replacement window that closely matches your existing windows, so you won’t have to replace all your windows at the same time. Additionally, if the interior and exterior trim is in good condition, there maybe insert replacements that can be installed directly into the existing frames.
- What is the difference between an insert and a full frame window? Insert windows install directly into the existing window frame of the window to be replaced, allowing you to reuse the existing frame, exterior trim and interior casing. These can be used if the window is square and in good condition. If the entire window is deteriorating, the best option is for a full frame window replacement. This includes replacing the sash and frame.
- How much smaller is the window opening for an insert? A. 1” on all sides. This allows the window to be put in the existing frame.
Step 2: Consultation
Woodland prides itself as a no pressure sales environment. We want your business, but we want you to take the time to process this decision. We want to make sure you’re not pressured into a sale. During the in home consultation our window expert will spend about an hour to examine and take measurements of your windows, and listen to your replacement design goals. The representative will show you a variety of window or door options that match your requirements and make sure you’re fully informed about all your options.
Step 3: Get Your Proposal
Step 4: Ordering Windows & Doors
When you’re ready to sign the proposal along with the receipt of a 50% deposit (50% upon job completion) your order is placed. Our project coordinator will contact you to schedule final measurements at your home done by our expert window technician.
Step 5: The Woodland Installation Process
With those final measurements and your order is placed in the system you’re all set. We’ll track your order progress and when your order is received in our warehouse, our coordinator will call you again to schedule a convenient time for your installation.
We’ll give you a checklist in advance of how you can prepare your home for the day of installation. On the appointment day, the crew leader will review the process with you while the crew protects your hallways and work areas. Generally, our installers can replace 3-4 full frame replacement openings per day and 6-10 insert replacement units per day. There may be exceptions to this, depending on the work that needs to be done.
Upon completion, your property will be cleaned up and the crew lead will demonstrate how to use your windows, answer questions and obtain your signature that the work was complete. Woodland is a phone call away should you have any questions or problems with your installation.